True Colors Fund - get involved to end homelessness among LGBTQ youth.
Youth homelessness is a queer issue. Here's why:
- Approximately 40% of homeless teens identify as LGBTQ.*
- Family rejection on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity is the most frequently cited factor contributing to LGBTQ youth homelessness (46%).
- While homeless youth typically experience severe family conflict as the primary reason for their homelessness, LGBTQ youth are twice as likely to experience sexual abuse before the age of 12.
- LGBTQ youth, once homeless, are at higher risk for victimization, mental health. problems, and unsafe sexual practices. 58.7% of LGBTQ homeless youth have been sexually victimized compared to 33.4% of heterosexual homeless youth.
- LGBTQ youth are roughly 7.4 times more likely to experience acts of sexual violence than heterosexual homeless youth.
- LGBTQ homeless youth commit suicide at higher rates (62%) than heterosexual homeless youth (29%).
* Durso, L.E., and G.J. Gates. "Serving Our Youth: Findings from a National Survey of Service Providers Working with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Youth who are Homeless or At Risk of Becoming Homeless." The Williams Institute with True Colors Fund and The Palette Fund, 2012.
All other facts published by the National Coalition for the Homeless, June 2009